The sport of horse trials relies on the generosity of its volunteers. Events would not be able to run without them and we are incredibly grateful for their enthusiasm. We are always happy to welcome new volunteers to our events. You do not need to have any experience and all necessary training will be given. We have a fantastic group of people who help at all our events, they create such camaraderie and everyone is so friendly, there really is a great feeling of being part of a team.
We are constantly in need of volunteers and there are a variety of roles available, to suit a range of interests. For more information about each of these roles, please click here.
VOLUNTEER APPLICATION FORMS 2020
Please complete an application form for each event you wish to help at. You can apply online, or alternatively you can download the PDF application form, fill it in and return it to the office via email or post.
Saracen Horse Feeds Houghton International Horse Trials (21st – 24th May 2020)
Barbury International Horse Trials (2nd – 5th July 2020)
Cholmondeley Castle Horse Trials (1st & 2nd August 2020)
Barefoot Retreats Burnham Market Horse Trials (12th & 13th September 2020)
Please Note: Although there is no BE age limit for officials, anyone over 75 years will not be covered by the BE personal accident insurance policy. As cross country fence judges need to be able to move quickly in an emergency (both physically and mentally) we would prefer that there were at least two people under 76 years of age at each fence. However we would welcome older cross country judges to make up a trio.
The sport of eventing relies heavily on volunteers and without such support, the events would be impossible to run. As a small token of our appreciation we have introduced a number of volunteer benefits.
Thank You Gifts
Each volunteer will receive a small thank you gift for every event you help at. These will be distributed on the day via your head of department, i.e. chief steward.
Start Fee Vouchers
All volunteers will be entitled to a £15.00 start fee voucher for each day of volunteering at a Musketeer British Eventing Affiliated Event. These vouchers can be redeemed on any start fee at any Musketeer Event (Cirencester Park, Burnham Market, Whitfield, Houghton, Barbury, Cholmondeley, Burnham Market (2)).
Please be aware that the following conditions apply to the vouchers:
- Vouchers must be claimed at the event you are volunteering at. They are available from the secretary. Unfortunately vouchers cannot be issued retrospectively.
- Vouchers are not transferable and can only be used by the person named on the voucher. The volunteer must be either the rider, owner or parent of the rider, in order to redeem.
- Please be aware that there is an expiry date on the voucher. We are unable to redeem expired vouchers.
- Only one voucher can be used per transaction.
Course Walk at Burghley Horse Trials
We will host a course walk at Burghley Horse Trials on Thursday 3rd September 2020. All our 2020 event volunteers are welcome to join us.
Volunteer Prize draws take place at each event and all volunteers will automatically be entered into these. On top of this, we also have our great Christmas Prize Draw which features a large number of superb prizes. You will automatically gain one entry for each day you volunteer at a Musketeer event, so the more you help us, the more chances you have to win!
TRI-STAR VOLUNTEER PRIZE DRAW 2019
Congratulations to the winners of the 2019 Tri-Star Volunteer Prize Draw;
- Burgie Lodge Escape – Chris & Sue Trim
- Blair season camping pass and membership – Bronwen Cannon
- Magnum of Pol Roger – Gill Pout
- Scottish Hamper – Pauline Gamblin
- Hospitality for two at Barbury – Helen Easter
- Lucinda Roper ‘Hunting Scene’ painting – Rod & Margaret Younger
- British Eventing goodie bag – Grace Littmoden
- Stormtech Jacket – Jessica Gray
- Bottle of BE Gin & Tonic – Christine Hawksfield
- Badminton Hospitality Tickets – Maggie Neale
- Fairfax & Favor Purse – Nicola Wilkins
- Lancombes Scarf – Shirley Grayson
- Free month of Butternut Box Dog Food – Sally Pearce
Thank you to everyone who helped at a Tri-Star Event in the 2019 season, we hope to see you back out there next year!
Photo caption: MEM volunteers enjoying a course walk with Gary Parsonage at Land Rover Burghley 2018